Monday, July 30, 2012

Do Boycotts work?

If you haven't heard about the issues some people have with a statement made by Chick-Fil-A's owner about his beliefs about marriage....well, then you live in a cave.

Many have called for a boycott of Chick-Fil-A and Christians have countered with an Appreciation Day.  

So, do boycotts work?  Does my not spending money at any establishment make a difference?

No, I don't think so.  
I think it hurts the wrong people.

My friend, Michael, explained it best on his blog and I encourage you to go read it.

 Am I going to eat Chick-Fil-A on "Appreciation Day" this week? 

Absolutely.
Maybe even twice!

As Michael said...I am going to use the "vote" of my money to reward the companies who are providing quality products with good service at affordable prices.



7 comments:

Lynne said...

This made our local news and I countered that just because someone has a differing opinion, why is it an automatic they are haters? I am glad he took a stand on his beliefs, and I do not once recall him ever saying he hates gays. He just offered a differing opinion. Just because gays believe in an alternative lifestyle does not mean they hate me because I am female and married to a man.

Sara@iSass said...

If we had a Chick a fil near us so would I! So tired of the haters.

StephieAnne said...

I echo Sara@iSass' comment....wish we had a Chick-Fil-A here in Oregon!!!

Robin Lambright said...

AMEN! I am so very tired of the double standard that is in the political and media arena!

I for one will be dinning at Chick-fil-a on Wednesday in support.

I think our dollars and our support do make a difference.

Blessings
R

Rebecca Jo said...

I definitely dont think they work. But I like the idea of "rewarding"...

Karin said...

I wish I could go to Chick-Fil-A because I love their chicken and fabulous lemonade. Alas...Boston wants to ban them, so for now, we have no Chick-fil-A.

Rachel said...

I read your post, and your link.

Such thoughtful ways to express just how crazy it is that we are divided this way... how very intolerant we can be. And how sad it must make the Father's heart when we treat eachother unkindly.

(And lets be honest, I spent a fair amount of time being sad that we have no Chick-Fil-A's locally! :)