Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Truth is a Person

This was taken from my devotion today, but it was so good that I wanted to share it with you!

And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, "Master, Master, we are perishing!" Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was calm. but He said to the, "Where is your faith?"
Luke 8:24-25

Truth is a Person, not a concept. Jesus said He was the Truth. That means that you can never know the truth of your circumstances unless you have first heard from Jesus. The disciples thought they were perishing in the storm. They were fishermen who knew the sea and knew what their condition was. They had allowed their circumstances to convince them that the "truth" was their imminent death. But they were wrong. Truth was asleep in the back of their boat!

Since some of the disciples were fishermen, they trusted in their own expertise and wisdom rather than recognizing that only Jesus knew the truth of their situation. At times, our human knowledge in certain areas of life can blind us to our desperate need to hear a word from Truth.

When Jesus spoke, the disciples saw the real truth of their situation. There was absolute calm. The disciples had seen Jesus perform other miracles, but they had not yet witnessed His power over nature in such a dimension. Often we are like the disciples. God may have recently demonstrated His power to us in a mighty way' we may have experienced may spiritual victories in the past. Yet, when a new and frightening situation comes upon us we, too, panic and say, "Lord save me. I'm perishing!" God will remind us of His provision, saying, "I can handle this situation, too , and you will know more of Me because of it."

Have you become fearful instead of faithful? if you have, prepare for the rebuke, for it will come.

From Experiencing God day by day.


My bible study was also on fear today.
I saw in Exodus how the Israelites allowed their fear to keep them at a distance from God as they told Moses to speak for them.

I do not want to live in fear!!
I want to live out on the edge with Christ and find that life that is most alive and most abundant!!!

What role does fear play in your life?

8 comments:

Beverlydru said...

This is profound. Totally dispels the ridiculous concept of relative truth. How can Truth be relative when He's alive and the same yesterday, today and forever?!?
You're the bestest, Sara. I look forward to meeting my sister from another mother some day in person.

Skoots1moM said...

we talk about how the world has such a 'scattered' view of truth...where it is NOT truth AT ALL. So much deception even to themselves.
I'm so thankful to be at His feet, believing THE TRUTH
:)

Karin said...

I love, love, love the Experiencing God Day by Day devotional. It changed my life. I have done it so many times that I had to take a break from it because I know it by heart. :)

I don't want to live in fear either!!

Cathy said...

Great devotion. I've been living too much in fear lately. Time to let go and let God! Thanks for this.

Michelle said...

What a thought provoking devotion! I have a lot of fears, but to some degree, can fear be a good thing? Such as, a fear of going to hell? I'm afraid of that all the time. I believe in Christ as my savior just as the bible says, but there are passages in the bible that look like contradictions and I just don't understand them. Such as 'Faith without works is dead.' James 2:20. But then in Ephesians 2:8 it says we are saved by grace and not by works so that no one can boast. So, I fear that if I don't work, I don't have faith. If I do work, I may be boasting...

sara said...

Michelle,

You needn't fear God or going to hell if you have accepted Jesus' free gift of love...Jesus says he is the way the truth and the life. 1 timothy also tells us that there is no fear in love. There are many things in the bible that we don't understand completely or can't wrap our finite minds around, so we need to stand firm on the things we DO know. As far as works, I believe that if you have a true faith in Christ, you will WANT to do good works, you will want to be obedient to the the things He calls you to. Good works are the fruit of the faith inside of you.

Growin' With It said...

YEP, I pretty much needed this devo today! Way to share this truth in love. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I let fear ruin my witness because I don't think anyone outside the faith will "get" what God is doing in my life, and that's it's much more important than all the stuff the world says is important. In my Bible study last night we were talking about just sharing with others in a simple and honest way about your walk with Jesus, not worrying about others' reactions, and how God will come and meet you there on move on others' hearts, and bless you for it. I am not to that point yet but that is the fear I'd like to really believe that Jesus is standing at my shoulder as I share, and that he has appointed me to share and walk in faith whether I see him there or not.