Sunday, December 23, 2007

traditions....

When I talk to younger women about holiday traditions, the first thing I tell them is.........DO NOT start a tradition you don't want to keep doing forever!!!

That piece of precious advice comes from first hand knowledge......Christmas pajamas! I starting making the kids matching Xmas PJs when Alyssa was 3 and Jason was 1. I thought they looked soooooo cute and since I had "time" to make them........well, about 4 years ago we had a very busy holiday and I decided to "buy" the Xmas PJs. After all, they still matched!!! Boy, was I wrong!!! There was an amazing amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth! The kids couldn't believe that I would stoop to "buying" the coveted PJs...........

So, here we are in 2007. What did I spend my day doing yesterday? Yep, sewing Christmas PJs. All week I have put this off........dreaded having to dig out my sewing machine.....hoped that somehow they would miraculously sew themselves...........

Know what I found out........I LOVE sewing these PJs.......I LOVE seeing my kids get excited about them when they see the fabric for the first time.....I LOVE that they drop everything to try them on for size......I LOVE this tradition!!

I will still caution young moms to not take on a tradition they don't want to do forever.....but I think I will love this tradition FOREVER!! .......and I mean forever........we discovered yesterday that Alyssa has NO CLUE how to sew!!! Her response "you are my mom and you never taught me how to sew!" My response....."that's why I sent you to school.....they failed both of us!!!" Looks like I will be making the PJs for the grandkids!!!

Hopefully pictures to come!!!

No comments: