Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fostering...

After 7 months, we finally have all our paper work completed and turned in to be foster parents.  It really is amazing that what God put on my heart a year ago is finally coming to fruition.

and I'm scared.

We just have to schedule our home study, which will most likely happen in the next week or two and then have a final walk through.  Then we will be considered "open" and ready to have a baby placed in our home or begin respite care.

and I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

The woman today told me to be prepared to get a call maybe even the hour after we are officially opened....there are so many babies to be placed.

and my heart is beating so fast.

We first thought we would only do respite care for foster families....there is a huge need.  But over the year, God has grown our hearts to also consider the littlest ones.  A baby cannot go to day care until they are 6 weeks old.  So they have to be placed in a home with a stay-at-home mom.  There aren't as many of those.  We are going to be that in between stop....or atleast that is what we are thinking....God might have something else in mind.

and my heart is already breaking for the child(ren) I am going to love and then send on.

One of the books that I have been reading is called Anything: the prayer that unlocked by God and my soul.  I've blogged about it before, but the questions that have stuck with me and played over and over in my head are.....What keeps me from praying "anything" to God?  What is the worst thing you feel He could allow you to suffer?

a broken heart?

And yet, could I face anything worse than hanging on a cross and taking the sins of the world upon himself?  He did that for me...why would I not be willing to suffer for Him?  For something He has asked me to do?

I AM willing.

In my heart of hearts, I want God to be able to use me....for anything.  I want to be available...even for the hard stuff....the stuff that hurts...the stuff that is not so pretty....the stuff I don't think I can handle..........the stuff that heals and loves and encourages and gives hope.

and I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.

What about you?  
What is God calling you to?  
What keeps you from praying "anything"?

13 comments:

Drew Spurgers said...

Wow! I'll be praying for you and what God intends to do through your home!

Skoots1moM said...

with my energy level being so low, i don't believe i could do this...you will be an awesome foster mom. expecting to send them on to another home will be tough but should be seen as hope that they will get placed in a good home and you will have time to pray over each of them with a vengeance for His Spirit to fill them ... ;)

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my.. how exciting!!! God is going to so richly bless you for following the calh He's laid on your hearts!!!

BTW - funny - we both reference Phil 4:13 today :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LuAnn said...

So glad you are at the end. And what a blessing any child will receive being in your home with you and Steve.

Karin said...

I am so excited to see who God has picked out for you to lavish with love. Praying that you will have peace deep in your heart that no matter what He asks, He will be enough to see you through.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on becoming foster parents. You will do great through Christ in you!!!!

StephieAnne said...

Wow...one of my favorite posts from you Sara. I'm so excited for you and inspired by you...I can't wait to see the amazing way God uses you and Steve in this next journey step God has for your life!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I am excited and praying for you Sara. I have NOT read that book...and to be honest? I am SCARED TO!!!!!!

MANY years ago...we were officially licensed on a Thursday for foster care and the phone ran that afternoon with our first placement. They had TOLD ME it may happen that fast but you coulda KNOCKED me down with a FEATHER! :)

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Wow. I have some young friends who applied for fostering....and ended up with two precious adopted daughters.

Cathy said...

I'm sure God will bless you in ways that you can't even imagine through this venture.

You asked what is God calling us to do. How about we have a 21 year old girl and her 8 month old baby staying with us right now. Towards the end of 2012 I prayed and asked God to let me be Jesus to someone and this was His response. The mother is trying to get on her feet to be able to support her self and take care of her baby, but she needs a place to live in the meantime. We really felt God wanted us to offer her a place to live. We did and she's with us. We love her and the baby and are praying God will give her wisdom in all the decisions she is having to make.

So I've learned be careful what you pray for, because you may get it. :)

Actually I feel very blessed that God answered my prayer and that we are being allowed to help in her life and in the baby's (plus baby's are just so cute and fun).

Praying God will bless you guys as well as the children you will be loving and caring for.

Bellezza said...

Sara, this absolutely brings tears to my eyes on a very personal level. I was adopted at birth in 1961, and I am forever grateful to God for placing me in the home He did. My parents could not be any less my parents had they conceived me. Anyway, I had long unwanted years in being a widow, but I've often felt the pull for the children with no home. How gracious you are to do His work for the little ones. The blessings you and the child will receive are too numerous to count, though I don't think for one second it will be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is.

Rachel said...

So amazing to watch God water those seeds, then to see the work He has done!

Thankful for you being willing to stand in the gap for these children. Praying that He will continue to use you and for you to delight in His purpose!