Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Casting your cares.....

Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you 
1 Peter 5:7

Something we know we need to do....but is so hard at times.  Mostly, because I keep grabbing mine back or let the worry distract me from taking it to Christ.
My devotion today hit the spot on this...

As you've not doubt discovered, becoming a Christian does not make your problems go away.  But it does give you an Advocate to whom you can take very concern.  The Christians Peter addressed were facing persecution.  They did not know whom they could trust; a friend, a neighbor, or even a family member could betray them, resulting in suffering and even death.  But Peter had walked with the risen Christ, and he had personally experienced the love that Jesus had for His followers.  He knew that Christ was in control, capable of handling every trial and that He wanted to do so as an expression of His love.

Casting our cares is a choice.  It means consciously handing over our anxiety to Christ and allowing Him to carry the weight of our problems.  At times this is the difficult art of trusting God!  We don't like turning over the responsibility for our problems.  We have been taught that self-reliance is good and praiseworthy.  we may even enjoy worrying.  Yet if we are to be freed from the burden of our concerns, we must choose to cast them into the strong hands of our Father.
Peter does not distinguish between little cares and big cares.  God does not differentiate between problems we should handle on own own and God-sized needs.  He asks us to turn the ALL over to Him.  One of our greatest errors is to assume we can deal with something ourselves, only to discover that we rally can't.

God sees you as His child, burdened with a load that surpasses your strength.  He stands prepared to take your load and to carry it for you.  Will you let Him?

What burdens do you need to give to Christ today?


This devotion was from Experiencing God Day-by-Day by Henry T. Blackaby

5 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

amen! Powerful post Sara. I needed this today.

Penny said...

I have always had a hard time relying simply on God, to realize that I can't do everything by myself. That's something He's working on me this year, though. =)

Cathy said...

I think I give it to Him and then I find myself worrying again. I just have to give it to Him over and over until I can learn to let go. I'm so glad He's so patient.

Robin Lambright said...

The biggest challenge I/we all face is not turning and snatching back the problem I/we leave at the foot of the cross!

What is it about our human nature that compels us to continue to walk around with burdens unnecessarily...

Blessings
R

Foursons said...

Wow, perfect timing for me to read this, thank you! I hate when I try to rely on myself to much. I always fall short.

Long story, but I changed my URL from a (dot)net to www.myfourboys.com. *sigh*