Monday, January 17, 2011

You ask...I deliver!

because I'm nice like that!
:)

Whole-wheat cinnamon raisin bread
(only I left out the raisins)

2  cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup nofat dry milk
1  large egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
cooking spray
2/3 cups raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar 
(I used light brown)

Measure out 1 1/4 cups very warm water and check the temperature; it should be 120 - 130 degrees.  combine both flours, the dry milk, egg, canola oil, honey, salt, yeast and warm water in the bowl of a stad mixer fitted with the dough hook.   Mix 3 minutes on the lowest setting, then increase to the next highest setting and mix 5 more minutes.  the dough should be soft and sticky.

Transfer the dough to a large bowl coated with cooking spray.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp. until the dough has nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a floured work surface.  Picture it as a loose square.  Lift up one side of the dough and fold about one-third of it across; press down on the dough with spread fingers to remove any air bubbles.  repeat with the remaining 3 sides of the dough.

Mist two 9x5 loaf pans with cooking spray.  divide the dough in half; roll out each half into an 8 inch square.  brush each square with canola oil (I used melted butter), then sprinkle with the cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins.

Roll up each square of the dough into a tight cylinder; place seam-side down in the prepared pans.  cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp until the dough fills the pans an dsprings back when touched, about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375. Brush the loaves with canola oil (I used butter) and bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.  remove from the pans and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

**I got this recipe from the Food Network magazine jan/feb issue.  There were pictures to guide you through this recipe if you want to have that!!**

Enjoy!!

9 comments:

That One Girl said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! It looks SO good!!!! Can't wait to make some!!! I bet it makes FANTASTIC French toast!

Robin Lambright said...

Love it.

I posted my chicken and dumplings recipe today and I am working on my short ribs for the and of the week or next week.


Blessings
r

Mocha with Linda said...

Yum.

Lisa said...

My SIL was raving about that very same recipe. Guess I'll have to try it.

Darla said...

as soon as i get some nonfat dry milk, i will be trying this. i never ever seem to have that stuff. thanks for posting this recipe!

Angie said...

So pretty and sounds so yummy! I may give it a try very soon.

I baked a Banana Snack cake for breakfast this morning. You can see it on my cooking blog.

I guess I'm in the baking mode because of the winter months. Love that!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Thank you thank you thank you. I will try it this weekend. You are nice like that for sharing this.

Mimi said...

Ooh, it looks so yummy!

Hugs & love,
Mimi

Karin said...

Catching up on your blog...those cinnamon loaves look super yummy. Too bad I don't like to bake. :) Just read through Joanne's blog--praying for her. Thanks for posting the link.